I’m back after a lovely, and much needed holiday to beautiful Roma.
Rome is a city that screams happiness. People take their time to enjoy life and stop to chat in the middle of the streets. The Italians value good food more than most other things and drink wine before noon. Whilst exploring the streets, passing colourful buildings on my way, I lost track of all the times I received a warm and welcoming smile.
After spending a week admiring the ancient buildings and neighbourhoods, eating an obscene amount of pasta and gelato, drinking lots of wine and soaking up the sunshine, I was convinced: I’m moving to Rome. Not just because of the beautiful language, but because of how happy everyone is and their way of life. So much more relaxed than life back in the UK.
The hotel we stayed in was called the Marcella Royal, which was situated on Via Flavia, about a 20/30 minute stroll to the main tourist sights such as the colosseum. The hotel was just superb and the interior was clean and full of Italian character. The selling point for us was the fact it had a roof top terrace where you had breakfast in the morning overlooking the rooftops of rome as well as offering a selection of pastas and pizza for dinner and cocktails, coffee and a piano bar for evening. Just perfect.
So as some of you who have read my previous posts will know,I am going on a weeks holiday to Rome in August and I can barely contain my excitement. I am counting down the days until I can explore the city, eat loads of amazing food and drink lots of delicious cocktails. Total bliss! Oh, and did I mention the sun! I thought I would put together a little post on what I think, are holiday essentials for travelling to Rome.
1. Travel sized perfume from Diptyque to keep you smelling fresh throughout the day. When you have weight restrictions on luggage, travel sized items are a godsend.
2. A camera! This is a necessity when travelling to Rome, there are endless photography opportunities so you’ll hardly put your camera down!
3. Rayban Clubmaster sunglasses. If you go in the summer month between July and August, the sun can be very harsh so a good pair of sunglasses are a must.
4. A beautiful dress to wear when you’re being wined and dined in the evening. I love this dress by Samsoe & Samsoe, a Danish fashion brand. The material is light and airy and the colours will really compliment tanned skin.
5. A handy zip wallet to carry all your travel documents, sunglasses, iPod etc.. ideal if you’re like me and loose everything!
6. A comfy pair of shoes. Do not leave without a pair! When in Rome you will do a lot of walking and most of the streets are cobbled. I love these sandals from John Lewis as the sole is well padded and has a cushion effect, perfect for exploring the City.
7. A good sun protector. I really like La Roche-Posay’s Anthelios XL SPF50+ Invisible Nutritive Oil. It is non greasy, sinks in to your skin and the spray nosel application means its great for when you’re on the go.
Where are you all going on your summer holidays? Have any of you been to Rome or do you live there? Any hints and tips for finding hidden gems or amazing restaurants would be very much appreciated.