I love cake! Who doesn’t.
Having recently came across this recipe on the website Gourmet I decided last night, that I was going to give it a go. The cake is absolutely delicious and takes no time at all to mix together and bake. It is perfect for those last-minute cake making cravings.
The recipe is as follows:
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 stick (56 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup (146 grams) plus 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 grams) sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 large (57 grams) egg
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 cup (5 ounces or 140 grams) fresh raspberries
Preheat oven to around 180 degrees with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
At low-speed, mix in flour mixture and then the buttermilk, alternating between the two sets of ingredients, beginning and ending with flour, until all combined.
Spoon batter into cake tin, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries over top and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack.